Hey there, how can we help?
Find the answers to your questions.
Illinois Drill – Change of Direction
- The aim is to run around a small grid made up of a number of cones
- This tests speed, running efficiency and turning ability through change of direction
- This drill is repeated once, then can be repeated after a short break
- Course length is 10 metres with a width of 5 metres
- Four cones are used to mark the start, finish and the two turning points
- Another four cones are placed down the centre at an equal distance of 3.3 metres apart
- Stationary starting position lying face down, head to the start line and hands by shoulders, all parts of the body should be behind the starting line
- Starting cue is 3,2,1 with the participant starting on 1
- Advise giving at least 3-4 minutes rest before repeating
- Use a flat well-maintained playing field or artificial surface
- At least 8 cones
- Measuring wheel or tape to ensure distance is accurate
- Stop watch or mobile device to record times